Christiansted Jump Up
A widely used term throughout the Caribbean, “jump up” means “to dance.” Here on St. Croix, Jump Up is a party in the streets of Christiansted. Originally started as a way to boost the economy and spread cheer for the people on the island, it has become one of St. Croix’s favorite social events among locals and visitors alike. Music, dancing, food, drinks, street vendors and the iconic Mocko Jumbies all come together and Christiansted comes alive. On the night of Jump Up the streets, the boardwalk, and the restaurants of Christiansted are filled with people enjoying the sights and sounds, sipping local beverages and savoring the delicious food of St. Croix.
Be enchanted by Kiki and her troupe of Flaming Gypsies. They will be performing their captivating fire dance at several venues throughout the night. Also a favorite for everyone is the Mocko Jumbies. An old cultural tradition brought over from Africa, these stilt dancers mock the evil spirits, also known as “jumbies”, to scare them away. The Mocko Jumbies are NOT to be missed, they dance up and down the streets to the music on six foot stilts.
New for this Jump Up is a second day of festivities on Saturday, November 24th. Come back to Christiansted, there will be activities and events for all ages all over town. Here’s the run down of activities…
Friday Night 6 to 10 pm – Jump Up
- Kick off holiday shopping season with great sales and promotions all over town!
- Your favorite local steel pan and soca music as well DJs and dancing.
- Street vendors selling drinks, food and local products.
- Mocko Jumbie performances through the streets of Christiansted.
- Kiki and the Flaming Gypsies – a fire dancing troupe that lights up your night.
Saturday Starting @ Noon – Jump Up “Second Day”
- Scuba Diving Clinic
- Sing Along
- Zumba Class
- Hip-Hop Fitness Class
- Mocko Jumbie Class
- Hula Hoop Lessons
- Kid’s Holi-day Cooking and Crafts
- Quadrille Dancing
- Cocktails and Wine
- A Sunset Fire Performance
- and A Movie at the Fort featuring “Elf”
Jump Up takes place 4 times per year, and each has a special theme:
- February – Valentine’s Day
- April – Triathlon
- July – Alexander Hamilton Day
- November – Holidays
Holiday Jump Up is conveniently held on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving). Duck into the shops along the streets that stay open late. Here you can find something for everyone on your shopping list.
- Art & Photography
- Clothes & Accessories
- Scuba, Snorkel & Outdoor Gear
- Bath & Beauty Products
- a bottle of Rum, Hot Sauce, or Coquito (a St. Croix holiday specialty!)
Enjoy the street festival atmosphere of Friday night Jump Up and spend some quality time with friends and family all day Saturday while taking advantage of the many unique events and activities in Christiansted. This is Christiansted the way it should be enjoyed!